Saturday, December 29, 2018

....still cables.

Waiting for cables.... damn holidays. :) 
In the meantime, enjoy this random photo (source unknown). 

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Cables... oh god. So many cables...

Been busy removing old cables and stripping the playfield from "debris" the last few weeks. It was a big but crucial step in order to get the new wiring neat and functioning properly. 
1) Cutting commenced! It's funny how destroying things always goes faster than building them...

2) Patient is on the operating table.
Straight under a florescent light, there's _finally_ a good work space to work on the machine!

3) Remains from the sockets and switches. The cabling all in all filled a big plastic bag... :|

I found out that I had placed all switch diodes wrong, so I actually redid the switches... twice.

Oh the horror when reconnecting a fully rebuilt pinball table and.... nothing. Haha.

But it's done properly this time, and as an added bonus the wiring is identical to commercial machines now. This means that if I forget how it's built in a few years I can always look up the wiring online - or in the manual I've decided to write for the machine. The manual will keep track of all hardware, parts and positions etc, and will have pictures and "maps" to show each position. I have also started gathering manuals for the actual hardware used on the PCB and table/cabinet. Nothing should have to be guessed or "reinvented" during the next repair. :)

4) Yo, Internet. Welcome to my crib...

I've also miscalculated the amount of cabling necessary now that I've gone full matrix on lights and switches and making sure each switch follows the trunk. So basically I'm 90 meters in and only had enough cables for the switches. :'D

But more cables are on the way, so early next year I'll have the lights and other cables in place!

5) The finished (more or less) wiring for switches! Since I've been using different switches of various makers
I've unfortunately not been able to keep a pro-standard everywhere, hence the "floating diodes" in a couple of places.
I also ran out of shrink tube, which will be used everywhere there's a cable "edge" visible.

The coding was also revamped slightly to accommodate the changes in the switch matrix, and overall it seems rock solid. Of course, it will be tested and retested during game rules programming, but I haven't been able to "trick" the machine from detecting hits now, something that was possible earlier due to the relatively (very) slow switch detection.