Saturday, November 10, 2012

Solenoid Madness!

Finally - the solenoids are in place and everyone of them working properly!

I've also remade the control cables for the power boards since several of the pins I planned on using for control didn't work since they were shared with other functions, such as the SD card loading etc. This is a drawback on the Chipkit-board since the actual PIC32 chip has a lot more I/O's than the board has, so some of them are shared.

I programmed a simple but effective diagnostics page as well in order to test each of the solenoids which has already proven very useful (I can't believe I originally thought I wouldn't need a diagnostics mode...) since I can properly diagnose how much power is needed for each coil, and of course - verify that they work.

Unfortunately I noticed that some of the coils are a bit too weak, while some are far too strong. So I'll probably switch around some of the solenoids to get the best power usage possible. Worst case scenario, I'll buy a couple of new ones.

Here's a short clip of the adjustments menu and, of course, the coil diagnostics page -



Feels good to see some movement from the machine after all this time!

p.s
Dramatic music is dramatic!

2 comments:

  1. the whole pic32 PPS pin selection really annoys me and how things are grouped etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yepp. Very rarely it's possible to get a continuous range of pins. Hopefully the next revision allows for programmable pins...

    Now if I can find three pins for lights control and at least 3 for servos I'd be all set...

    ReplyDelete