I've finished soldering the switch board and started making the light board.
I probably shouldn't be showing you this...
... but amazingly I only had two cables that needed to be switched - the rest of it worked out of the "box". The extremely crappy soldering on this one does not make anyone proud thou...
But as I said before -
These are prototype production units. If they break or needs replacement they will be better made (as in, custom PCB's and possibly even pro-soldered in a shop).
The motherboard is a nicer story thou. I've fixed all cards onto a piece of plywood with custom connectors for power as well as proper display, switch and light connectors.
The plug & play design has already proven to be useful while debugging and even adding features as it allows to be picked up and placed in a more convenient position. All cables that needs to be removed in any way when servicing has got a connector so it's impossible to put them back wrong. A nice side effect of going single MCU is that I can now (finally) update the code of the board via USB without having to manually reset the boards first. This was due to a limitation of the Arduino/Chipkit boards when something was connected to the first serial port, which had to be used for serial communication between the boards.
I'm still thinking about if it's a good idea to have unique MOSFET's for each output, but we'll see!
With the new motherboard almost complete, I can now begin to focus on the new programming. I've got switches, SD-reading and DMD in place (although not in their final form) and I've already managed to improve video streaming and rendering speed. With a little luck I'll find the time to start on the proper code anytime soon - probably the maintenance menu since that makes most sense at the moment.
Going single MCU was a good choice!