As I've mentioned earlier, the old cabinet head was far too tilted to be salvaged.
It also wasn't matching up nicely depth-wise with the cabinet - making it look a bit flimsy, kind of like a tiny head on a giant body. Not cool.
I've ordered a red LED-display (128x32, PinLED, same display as in Stern's international versions of Spiderman and Family Guy) so in a few days I'll hopefully have my machine drawing pretty pictures for me while it speaks! I was going for a plasma display at first, but as it turned out they needed either A) a lot of high voltage power, or B) a lot of money from the buyer. I also didn't find any red plasma screens, but I've read they're filterable to display red instead. Anyway -
The PinLED display was in an acceptable price range and I'm a sucker for the red glow, so it was a no-brainer. Looking forward to hooking it up!
The speaker and display panel is prepared as well and the new head is looking rather nice, although it's still unfinished. I figure I can use magnets to keep the translite locked in place (this may change in the future) so that lightbulbs can be changed easily in-place.
I will put a ventilation grill on the back and I hope to get good airflow with cold air being pushed into the cabinet from underneath and hot air being drawn out with a fan on the cabinet head. I'm not expecting a lot of heat anyway since it's all modern tech inside, but it won't hurt to have good ventilation!