I really took a long ball on this one, since I started out using an old ball-through from an old Bally game called "Night Rider". What I didn't know was that this game was a single ball one. Bummer.
Once I got the parts I was thinking about different ways of getting it to work like a newer machine's ball through, thinking I'd get away cheaper than investing in a new ball through.
I had to precisely tweak the solenoid strength of the drain kicker so that the balls are shot just hard enough to reliably land on the other end of the "hill", without getting kicked back by Mr Newton on the other end. This turned out to be a bit tricky since it could work just fine, but then be too weak in case there's multiple balls waiting to "drain". This would simply block the shot and the ball would require a couple of shots. But I got it right in the end.
|1) The fully loaded 4-ball through, including the roof which will further direct the balls.|
|2) Shooter lane. Note the missing groove for the ball. This was because I didn't have all measurements at hand when it|
was time to CNC the playfield. Better safe than sorry... but now I really wish I'd grooved it.
In the end, it works and functions reliably - but if it breaks I'll probably buy a new ball through instead.
To sum it up: